The League offers opportunities for applicants interested in the profession of animal sheltering. Please check this page frequently for open positions and apply to join our team of compassionate animal care professionals.
Animal Care Technician
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (AWLA) is seeking two full time Animal Care Technicians, who will be responsible for cleaning, medicating, feeding, caring for, and showing the utmost compassion for all of the animals at the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter. Applicants should have the ability to remain positive and calm in stressful situations, and feel rewarded by helping animals in need.
Required: Applicants should have a proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy, physically-demanding workplace environment; basic computer proficiency; a genuine compassion for all animals, regardless of their condition; ability to routinely lift 50-75 pounds; a desire to learn and ability to stay open-minded. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, must be able to pass a background check, and must be willing to receive the complete Rabies Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis.
Preferred: Applicants should have prior experience in animal care or sheltering.
Education/Training: Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
The Animal Care Technician will work indoors in a high-noise, air-conditioned/heated building, outdoors at the shelter, or at various locations. Weekend and holiday hours are required. This is a non-exempt position.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and application (see link below) to Careers@AlexandriaAnimals.org with the subject line “Animal Care Technician” (no quotes).
Development and Communications Assistant
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (AWLA) is seeking a full time Development and Communications assistant, who will be responsible for providing administrative support and assistance with the communication efforts of the organization. He or she will be responsible for accurately completing data entry and ensuring the accuracy of the donor database and preparing the daily reconciliation and deposits. He or she will participate in event execution and development efforts to increase donor support.
Please follow this link for the full job description which lists the essential duties, requirements, and working conditions for this position: Development and Communications Assistant Final
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and application (see link below) to Careers@AlexandriaAnimals.org with the subject line “Development and Communications Assistant” (no quotes).
This position will remain open until filled.
Veterinary Care Coordinator
The Animal Welfare League is hiring a full-time Veterinary Care Coordinator. The Veterinary Care Coordinator assists the Shelter Veterinarian in the examination and treatment of shelter animals.
Responsibilities include: completing daily rounds with the Shelter Veterinarian, identifying animals that need laboratory work and ensuring blood work is collected; entering diagnostic results into the database and filing paperwork in the animal’s record; collecting and reviewing medical histories of surrendered animals; coordinating the Visiting Vet program; developing and maintaining strong relationships with veterinarians and veterinary practices in the community; sending animals for outside veterinary care when necessary; becoming certified as a Euthanasia Technician and assisting with euthanasia; collaborating with the Animal Care Manager to provide medical care training for Animal Care staff; ability to work with Foster Coordinator in order to ensure all animals in foster care receive timely exams and veterinary treatment as needed; successfully schedule surgical procedures for shelter animals at multiple veterinary hospitals.
Applicants should have the ability to remain positive and calm in stressful situations, and feel rewarded by helping animals in need.
- A proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy, physically-demanding workplace environment
- Minimum one year of experience working in the veterinary medical field
- Excellent skills in companion animal handling
- Knowledge of proper administration of medication to animals; ability to dose out medications according to veterinarian’s instructions
- Ability to draw blood and collect urine and fecal samples; ability to perform other lab tests as directed
- Skill in completing and maintaining files, records, and forms
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public
- Basic computer proficiency and ability to learn how to use shelter database in a timely manner
- A genuine compassion for all animals, regardless of their condition
- Ability to routinely lift 50-75 pounds
- A desire to learn and ability to stay open-minded
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check
- Willingness to receive the complete Rabies Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to coordinate logistics for multiple surgical procedures scheduled at other veterinary hospitals
- Applicants should have prior experience in animal care or animal sheltering
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- The Veterinary Care Technician will work indoors in a high-noise, air-conditioned/heated building, outdoors at the shelter, or at various locations
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria offers a competitive benefits package for regular full time employees including medical and dental coverage. This is a non-exempt position.
Applicants should complete and return an Application for Employment, cover letter, and resume to careers@AlexandriaAnimals.org with the subject line”Veterinary Care Coordinator” (no quotes).
This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.