Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Pet owners who qualify for the program (see information below) must apply and purchase the voucher, in person, at the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter at 4101 Eisenhower Ave in Alexandria, VA. If you have any questions about the Spay/Neuter Assistance Program, please call us at (703) 746-4774 or email email@example.com.
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (AWLA) is proud to announce a new voucher program for pet owners who need help affording spay or neuter surgery for their pets. AWLA has coordinated local veterinarians to agree to provide spay/neuter surgeries at one set price if pet owners apply, qualify and purchase a voucher at the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter, operated by the AWLA, at 4101 Eisenhower Ave. in Alexandria.
Spay/neuter not only prevents unwanted litters of puppies and kittens, it can positively impact your pet’s health and behavior, and the AWLA recommends that all pets be spayed or neutered. Cost is consistently the biggest barrier pet owners face when their pets are in need of veterinary care, and spay/neuter services are no exception. The AWLA hopes this program empowers pet owners of all incomes to spay and neuter their pets.
This program would not be possible without the generosity of our participating veterinary hospitals. They have offered their excellent spay/neuter services at a steep discount to the market rate to help make spay/neuter surgery accessible to all pet owners. We’re extremely grateful to our participating vets and know their services will impact the lives and health of countless animals in Virginia.
The AWLA would also like to acknowledge the hard work of our Community Outreach and Adoptions Manager, Joanna Fortin, who worked tirelessly to bring this program to life.
Spay and Neuter Program Information Sheet | View PDF
Dog neuter: $180
Dog spay: $195
Cat neuter: $75
Cat spay: $140
- Spay/Neuter surgery is provided at a discount by partnering veterinary clinics as a service to the community. It is offered to pet owners of LOW INCOME–less than $60,000 per year–who have no other means to get their pet spayed/neutered.
- The voucher will expire three months from the date of purchase.
- The fee for the voucher is non-refundable.
- If you miss your clinic appointment and fail to cancel with the veterinary clinic within 24 hours of your appointment, your voucher becomes void.
- Surgeries for dogs and cats over 7 years of age may require additional fees determined by the veterinary hospital. These fees are paid to the clinic on the day of surgery.
- Pre-surgical blood work is required for animals 7 years of age and older at a cost of $50, which is paid to the veterinary hospital. A separate appointment may be required for these animals prior to surgery date to collect a blood sample. If required, owners will pay a separate office visit fee to the clinic for the appointment.
- This special community program fee includes go-home pain medication, an e-collar if needed (as determined by the participating veterinarian) and a pre-surgery exam on the day of surgery.
- The special community program surgery fee does NOT include: Vaccinations, microchipping, other medications (such as antibiotics), overnight fees (if required), additional care for surgeries that are complicated by conditions such as pregnancy, obesity, cryptorchidism, etc. If the veterinary determines that any of these issues apply, you will be responsible for any additional fees.
- You must provide ID verification to the veterinary clinic to prove you are the person listed on the voucher.
Dogs: Rabies and distemper.
Cats: Rabies and FVRCP.