Important news about the Contest:
You still have time to vote! Calendar contest voting ends this Sunday, July 16, at 8 PM. Please take the time to see all the amazing pet photo submissions, and weigh in on your favorite.
Your votes will choose Alexandria’s 2018 Animal of the Year.
What are the prizes?
Every pet entry will appear in and receive a copy of AWLA’s 2018 calendar.
The Grand Prize will be awarded based on total votes received (money raised). The pet entry that receives the most votes at the close of competition on July 16, 2017, at 8 p.m. will be recognized as Alexandria’s 2018 Animal of the Year, and will:
- Grace the front and back covers of the 2018 AWLA calendar (sold in stores throughout Alexandria), receiving 10 complimentary copies.
- Receive a professional pet photography session for the cover photo with DeSilva Studios at a to-be-determined location. Cover photos will be selected by the AWLA from the results of this photo session; submitted contest photo will appear on the back cover of the calendar alongside a professional photo of the owner(s).
- Receive one 8 x 10 and two 5 x 7 complimentary prints (with an option to purchase more photos or products offered by the photographer).
- Receive year-round invitations to AWLA events as Alexandria’s 2018 Animal of the Year.
- Be featured on the AlexandriaAnimals.org home page, Facebook header, and Twitter header during the pet photo contest in 2018
- NEW THIS YEAR: Congratulated in a commercial that appears on all 22 screens in the AFC Hoffman Theater for two weeks.
Pet entries who receive the second-, third-, and fourth-most votes at the close of competition will each receive:
- A full-page calendar spread, with choice of month given to first-, second-, and third-place runner up winners, consecutively.
- A 20-minute photography mini-session with a participating AWLA photographer. Calendar photos will be selected by the AWLA from the results of these photo sessions. The photo submitted as part of the animal’s entry will not be included.
- One complimentary 5×7 print, with an option to purchase more photos or products offered by the photographer.
- Featured time on AlexandriaAnimals.org home page, Facebook header,and Twitter header for two weeks of their corresponding calendar month.
- Five copies of the calendar.
*Winners must be available for an August/September 2017 photo shoot in order to be eligible for prizes. If not available, prize moves to next eligible candidate.
Entries in fifth- through fourteenth-place will also have their photos featured on AlexandriaAnimals.org home page, Facebook header and Twitter header for two weeks of their corresponding calendar month.
The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria is an open-door facility and provides care for a wide variety of animals. We would like to see as many types of animals as possible entered in the Click Your Pick photo contest. This year, we have added additional categories to encourage entries of many different animals. We have even added the category “Virginia Wildlife – No Pets”.
Wild animals are not pets; however, AWLA strives to help community members co-exist and appreciate the wild animals in our neighborhoods.
The top animal in each category will be featured on a quarter of a page in the calendar. Also, the top two animals in each category will have their photo included in a “Click Your Pick” edition of Alexandria’s Animals trading cards.