The Animal Welfare League of Alexandria is committed to operating to the highest standards of accountability, transparency and ethics. We seek to earn your trust by sharing information on how we operate and use donated dollars to achieve our mission. The following details reflect our commitment to donors, volunteers and the people we serve.
Internal and External Oversight
The Directors who serve and oversee the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria help to develop and advance the interests of our donors in ways that go beyond just raising money. Good governance is more than just supporting the organization – it also means representing the community’s interests in what we do. Our Board of Directors has three fundamental legal obligations, or fiduciary duties, which apply to everything we do.
- Duty of Care: The amount of care that an ordinarily prudent person would exercise in a like position and under similar circumstances. This describes the criteria our Directors must give to making decisions on behalf of the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria
- Duty of Loyalty: Keeping the interests of the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria in mind at all times when making decisions on behalf of the organization.
- Duty of Obedience: Requires board members to be faithful to our mission; consistent with the mission statement, Articles of Incorporation, bylaws, and tax-exempt documentation.
Working in partnership with the professional staff, the Directors also cooperate with key legal bodies and various independent organizations that evaluate charities on a number of factors, not the least of which is an organization’s degree of accountability and transparency.
Organizational & Financial Information
Tax Exempt: We are recognized by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as tax-exempt organization. The IRS Determination Letter (501c3 determination) confirms this information.
Volunteer Governance: Our Board of Directors provides internal oversight to the organization:
- Jeff Lutton, Chair
- Lynnwood G. Campbell, Treasurer
- Jackie Cottrell, Secretary
- Kendra Davis
- Kirk S. Fedder
- Suzanne Goulden
- Jerry Hinn, DVM
- Tina Leone
- Sharon McMichael
Professionally Staffed: Our key employees provide the services needed to achieve our mission. Our Executive Team:
- Megan Webb, Executive Director
- Abbie Hubbard, Deputy Director
- Hanna Rhodin, Director of Operations
- Brian Rees, Chief of Animal Services
- Kaci Angelone DVM, Staff Veterinarian
Independently Audited: Our most recent Financial Statements (2015 FS) provide details on our use of donor funds and assets.
IRS Verified: Our IRS Form 990 confirms the annual tax filing information we are required to maintain the tax exempt designation. Note: AWLA has focused on reducing expenses by increasing our efficiency and effectiveness in our work to care for animals in need.
We value your investment in our cause. We spend over 75 cents of every dollar donated to achieve our mission. Our initiatives to reduce expenses, increase revenue and improve efficiency are reflected in the results shown below.
|Adoptions of dogs/cats||1,273||868||877|
|Transfer in of dogs/cats||617||297||145|